Shiitakes take on an intense smoky flavor on the grill. Use them as a side dish, topping for an entree, or toss into a pasta salad.
1 half pound fresh shiitake mushrooms of an even size
2 tablespoons sweet cream butter
1/2-1 teaspoon salt
10 grinds fresh black pepper
2-4 bamboo or metal skewers
1. Rinse shiitake mushrooms and remove stems, leaving caps intact. Pat dry.
2. Skewer one shiitake through the center of the stem.
3. Using a sharp knife, carve a thin pat of butter. Skewer this next to the shiitake.
4. Repeat skewering shiitakes and thin pats of butter, pressing the mushrooms together until touching. Continue until skewers are filled. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the skewers.
5. Meanwhile, heat a charcoal or propane grill.
6. When grill is at temperature, cook skewers for 3-5 minutes on each side, until mushrooms are soft in the center and slightly singed on the edges. Serve while hot.