Want a great recipe for the holidays? Stuffed shiitake mushrooms are perfect for an appetizer, side dish, or anytime you want a nutrient-rich addition to your menu.
This recipe is flexible, allowing you to substitute your favorite flavors and what you have available. It is easy to adjust to dietary restrictions too.
Stuffed Shiitake Mushrooms
Serves 2-3 as a side or 5-8 as an appetizer; Time: 15 minutes preparation, 30 minutes cooking
1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped aromatic vegetables like onions, celery, and garlic
1/4 cup chopped nuts or seeds
1/4 cup cracker or bread crumbs
1 large egg or 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal soaked in 2 tablespoons warm water
2 tablespoons fresh herbs or 2 teaspoons dried herbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
5-10 grinds fresh black pepper
1. Clean the mushrooms by removing the stems. (Reserve stems for soup stock if you wish.)
2. Mix all remaining ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
3. Arrange mushrooms caps in a glass or metal baking pan, stem side up.
4. Pile stuffing mixture on top of mushrooms evenly.
5. Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 15-25 minutes or until filling is cooked through and mushrooms have softened. Serve warm.